Adult Support and Protection Helping Out or Cashing In

Report concerns

► Make sure they are safe - If immediate help is required phone 999

► Report your concerns - see below for more information on this

Report Concerns

What can I do?
If you are worried that you or someone you know is being harmed, is suffering from neglect, or is being abused, it is important to tell someone.  Your report  will be treated in confidence. Everyone has a right to be safe.

Who should I contact?
For anyone wishing to report an adult at risk you should contact:


During office hours - Social Care Direct
Phone 0141 287 0555
Textphone 18001 0141 287 0555
Online: Request support for an adult
Online: Complete online Adult Protection Referral (AP1)

Outwith office hours - Glasgow and Partners Emergency Social Work Services
Phone 0300 343 1505

Scottish Police - non emergency
Phone 101

You can also speak to a health professional (for example your doctor or a health visitor) or the police. They will take your concerns seriously.

If you know or suspect that an Adult is being harmed then you need to report your concerns. Don't assume that someone else has already reported it. The person being harmed or neglected may not be able to report it themselves. Remember, the person who did this may be doing it to others too.

Herbert Protocol

Glasgow HSCP, along with Partners including Police Scotland and Alzheimer Scotland, launched the Herbert Protocol. This is a form which, when completed, contains vital information about a person at risk and can then be used to help find them quicker if they go missing.

Those living with dementia or similar conditions can experience short term memory loss but can easily recall memories from decades before. Sometimes people reported missing are attempting to make their way to somewhere they previously spent time or enjoyed happy events. The Herbert Protocol is used to record details of significance, for example previous addresses or workplaces, about a person at risk and can then be used to help find them quicker if they go missing. A recent photograph of the person can also be attached to the form.

The information provided on the form will assist Police enquiries in the event that the person concerned goes missing, so that they can be traced safe and well, as quickly as possible.

Do you work with or know someone living with dementia? Find out more about the Herbert Protocol and download a copy of the form at

More Information

You can find more information on the Scottish Government Act Against Harm website.

Speak to someone

During office hours - phone Health and Social Care Connect

► 0141 287 0555

Complete online Adult Protection Referral

18001 0141 287 0555

Outwith Office hours - phone

► 0300 343 1505

You can also contact an Advocacy Service

The Advocacy Project

Glasgow City Carers Partnership's Carers Information Line
0141 353 6504 or visit yoursupportglasgow

Carer Your Support Your Way Glasgow

Where does harm happen?


It can happen in their own home, in a hospital ward, a care home or day care centre, social clubs, at work or in public places.

Who would abuse an adult at risk?

It could be anyone, including a relative, spouse or partner, carer, friend, professional, volunteer, neighbour or a stranger.

Our Vision

By promoting health and well-being we aim to strengthen, safeguard and protect vulnerable people.

Glasgow Public Protection Learning Review

Glasgow Public Protection Learning Review Protocol, Notification forms and published documents can be found here.